The kinds of food one eats can affect the body’s pH balance. The body is more alkaline as opposed to acidic. One should therefore eat foods that alkalinize after metabolism. That is to say they leave alkaline mineral residues which the body uses in its various functions. In a nutshell, maintaining an alkaline diet will prevent your body from accumulating metabolic acidity, which is responsible for autoimmune and degenerative diseases. Alkaline foods are natural, usually green leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, some types of fruits and healthy oils. Below is an example of alkaline food recipes you can adopt:

Chickpea Curry

What you need:

1 cup dried chickpeas
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 cups chopped cauliflower and broccoli
1 tbsp olive oil

For the sauce:
One eggplant, chopped
Dash of cayenne pepper
One garlic clove
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp salt


Blend all the sauce ingredients to a puree. Soak the peas for 12 hours, preferably overnight. Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the chickpeas over medium-high heat till they are golden. Add other ingredients. Turn down the heat and continue sautéing for 10 more minutes. Pour the sauce over the mixture, cover and let it simmer for 10 minutes.

Other main dish recipes you can enjoy include vegetable curry, Mexican rice, marinated broccoli, cauliflower with olives and avocado, potato and broccoli mix with tomato sauce, stuffed marrow rings, sesame chicken, stuffed mushrooms, noodles with pesto sauce and sunflower pate. These can be for lunch or dinner. For breakfast, lighter meals such as chickpea bread, banana pancakes, garlic potatoes, apple cereal and tofu scramble are ideal.

Here is how to prepare delicious, wholesome banana pancakes.

You will need: One banana 2 tbsp dried coconut flakes or coconut flour 1 tsp cinnamon

Procedure: Using a fork, mash the banana in a bowl until smooth. Add coconut flakes/flour and cinnamon and mix thoroughly.

Flatten the dough into small pancakes and leave in direct sunlight for about an hour to dry. Turn them over and leave for another hour. They can also be dried in the oven but they will take much longer.

Alkaline food recipes are not limited to main dishes only. They cut across all aspects of a meal, including desserts, salads, dressings, side dishes and drinks. As a general guide, a good alkaline recipe is one which comprises 80% alkalinized foods. There is no harm if a few acidic foods form the remaining 20%. This means one has to limit their intake of meat and dairy products, sweeteners, processed carbohydrates and sugars, fats and caffeine.

Here is a recipe for a smoothie you will enjoy:

Ingredients: Raw Brazil nuts (soaked 4 hours)
Raw walnuts (soaked 8 hours)
Dried dates (soaked 20 minutes)
½ cup water

Procedure: Blend together all ingredients until smooth and serve. You can garnish with chopped Brazil nuts and walnut. You can also substitute the water with either almond milk or soy milk.

One great thing about alkaline food recipes is that the ingredients can be interchanged at will. If one is making savory vegetable mix for instance, they can throw in their favorite sprouts, herbs and seeds as they please, provided they are spicy or bland. If making a sweet sauce or smoothie, a variety of sweet nuts and fruits can be used at will. The flavors tend to blend in well when mixed thoroughly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *